Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Darma 1 -28

“I cooked hot-dogs on freshly cut and sharpened sticks over the coals of a big wood fire, and heated a can of beans and a can of cheese macaroni in the redhot hollows, and drank my newly baought wine and exulted in one of the most pleasant nights of my life.”
(Darma bumns page 7)
I loved this quote because to me it shows the paradox of the 1950s. Heres this guys living in different places everyday eating essentially crap with nothing that sticks in this life, and yet he is really truly happy. While the guy a mile away is with his family in a nice house in suburbia with everything perfect and he’s so unhappy. And Yet to everyone else he has the perfect life and the guy on the beach is the bumn and yet which one is happy. It’s the one on the beach living on nothing.

No comments: