Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Darma 120-149

"And he has a nice home in Ohio with wife, daughter, Christmas tree, two cars, garage, lawn, lawnmower, but he coul't enjoy any of it because he really wasn't free. It was sadly true. It didn't mean i was a better man than he was, however, he was a great man andd I likeed him and he liked me and said 'Welll I'll tell you, supposin I drive you all the way to Ohio'" (page 129)
I liked this quote becasue its an example of someone living a suburban, american lifestyle that has convinced himself he is happy to the point of thinking he really it. He says right befor the quote how he is licing the good life, doing what he needs to do to make money, but he says somthing along the lines of 'nows whos smart, you or me?' because he works so much and yhes he makes way more money that Kerouac but he dosnt get to enjoy any of it becuse he is working so much that its just sitting in his house collecting dust. His cars, lawn family, or house are all just sitting their. He has worked very hard for all of those things but isint truely free enoought to enjoy them. Its not that he unhappy its that he isnt happy.

No comments: