Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Darma 94-120

"I didn't want to have anthing to do, really, either with Japhy's ideas about society (I figured it would be better just to avoid it altogether, walk around it) or with any or Alvah's ideas about grasping after life as much as you can becasue of its sweet sadness and becasue you would be ddead some day" (106)
I know why this stood out to me beacuse to me it relates back to our disucstion yesterday in class but I am having troubles quite wrapping my head around it. In the text befor this quote Kerouac is talking about going to a place of solitude and in a sence escaping, but not openly addmitting thats what hes doing. He says he wants to pray. Then I read the quote above and I dont think it was really all about praying, I think honestly he was starting to feel that void and subconsiouly realized that and wanted to do somthing about it. Society and Japhys ideas aobut it scares him and its easier to get away than to simply confront it. Although what confronting it really means is another story. And he probably dosn't know how anymore than i do. And I quess he sorta is by writing about it. But at the same time isn't becasue of what hes writing. He knows somthings going on, but dosnt know what to do with that truth. His solution: get away.

No comments: